Sunday, July 11, 2010

Time to Eat the Doughnuts!

Doughnuts.  The word just conjures up a smile.  As a kid, I used to eat a couple at a time.  Now that I am older and more calorie conscious, I do not eat them as often as I used to.  But when I buy a coffee, I start to reason in my mind how much better this coffee can get.

I always avoid trans-fats so it was hard to find a "healthier" doughnut.  Now Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kream all claim that their pastries are "all natural."  No more high fructose corn syrup and no more trans-fatty acids, but that "natural" fat and sugar are all still intact!  But how about the calories?

Well, I did a little research on my favorite type of doughnut, the glazed cake doughnut and this is what I came up with:

Starbucks Old Fashioned Galzed Doughnut = 420 Calories
Dunkin Donuts Glazed Cake Donut = 320 Calories
Krispy Kream Glazed Cake Doughnut = 270 Calories

Starbucks surprised me, to say the least.  There is no harm in treating yourself to life's guilty pleasures once and a while.  Reward yourself occasionally for a job well done at work, family, or life.  I will have to run a 12 minute mile for 30 minutes to burn 270 calories or minus 270 calories from my diet, but it may be just worth it.  Now I have to find a Krispy Kream to go to after I get my coffee from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment